The new Kobo Libra 2 is the sequel to the original Kobo Libra ebook reader, and it has been designed to provide enhanced user experience and features for its faithful readers. In this objective review, we will explore the new features and compare them to the original Libra.
1. Introduction To Kobo Libra 2
Kobo Libra 2 is the latest e-reader in the Kobo lineup. This device is perfect for those who enjoy reading but are looking for a more advanced experience than a simple, one-click e-reader. Here’s an objective review of the Kobo Libra 2 to help you decide if it’s the right device for you.
- Display: The Kobo Libra 2 features a 7 inch E Ink Carta HD touchscreen display with a resolution of 1680×1260. The display is pleasant to look at and the touchscreen works well.
- Design: The Kobo Libra 2 is lightweight and comfortable to hold. It has an ergonomic design, with anti-slip rubber accents.
- Battery Life: The Kobo Libra 2 is capable of offering up to 8 weeks of battery life with regular use. This allows you to read for a long time without worrying about charging.
- Software: The Kobo Libra 2 is powered by Kobo’s proprietary software. It has a simple and intuitive user interface that is easy to navigate.
The Kobo Libra 2 also comes with special features like Pocket integration and a night-reading mode. Furthermore, the device supports various eBook formats including EPUB, PDF, HTML, and others. This makes it easy to find the right book for you.
Finally, the Kobo Libra 2 has a host of customization options. You can change the display’s brightness, text size, and font. You can also change the background color and wallpaper of the device.
2. Overview of Features and Benefits
The Kobo Libra 2 offers plenty of features and is packed with great benefits. In this section, we’ll delve deeper into the details and review the main features and benefits:
- Size & Portability: The Libra 2 is compact and lightweight body, measuring a mere 6.3 in x 5.6 in x 0.25 in. Its slim design fits perfectly into any bag or pocket for portability and convenience.
- Display: This device has a 7.0-inch HD Carta E Ink touchscreen with a resolution of 1072×1448 for comfortable and sharp viewing.
- Connectivity: Connect to the internet and download your favorite books with Wi-Fi and support for Bluetooth. USBs and headphone jack also available for external connection.
- Battery Life: Boasting a powerful battery, the Libra 2 offers up to 8 weeks of reading on a single charge.
- Software: It runs on the Android 9 OS and has access to Google Play for seamless content and app compatibility.
New and improved features such as the ComfortLight Pro reduces blue-light exposure and ensures a comfortable reading experience throughout the day. Water-resistant protection against accidental spills and splashes allows you to keep on reading in any environment. Finally, with unlimited cloud storage, you can access all of your books, anytime, anywhere.
3. Kobo Libra 2 Performance Review
Ease of Use: The Kobo Libra 2 is lightweight, weighing only 8.5 ounces and is easy to carry around. The 7″ Carta E Ink Touchscreen is responsive and pleasing to the touch. It has a quartet of buttons for navigation, but it’s not the easiest device to get around. You can customize your home screen to quickly access your favorite books.
Reading Experience: Kobo’s ComfortLight Pro is one of the best lighting solutions for nighttime reading. It uses a soft white LED that evenly illuminates the entire screen, preventing eyestrain. The display is adjustable in terms of font size and line spacing, and you can quickly switch between portrait and landscape orientation. The text reflows automatically to adjust to the size of the display.
Battery Life: The Kobo Libra 2 has a battery life of up to 6 weeks when reading for one hour a day. This is quite impressive, given the size and weight of the device. It also comes with an auto-shutoff feature to save battery life.
Page Turns: Every time you turn a page, the Kobo Libra 2 takes about a second to display the content on the screen. This may not seem like a lot, but it can become annoying over prolonged periods of reading.
Connectivity: The Kobo Libra 2 supports Wi-Fi, allowing you to browse and download books from Kobo’s store and access other services. It also supports Overdrive for borrowing books from your local library. Unfortunately, it does not have support for Bluetooth or other wireless standards.
Price: The Kobo Libra 2 has an MSRP of $169.99, but can often be found for less. This puts it at the midrange of the ebook reader market, making it a good option for those looking for a good balance between price and features.
4. Pros and Cons of Kobo Libra 2
Design: The Libra 2 has a modern, minimalist design. Its thin profile and lightweight construction make it comfortable to hold in one hand, while its buttons and responsive screen make navigation easy. It also has a front-light, which can be adjusted according to user preference.
Performance: The Libra 2 is powered by a 1GHz processor and has a memory capacity of 8GB. It runs smoothly and doesn’t suffer from sluggishness, even when multiple books and documents are open simultaneously. It also supports multiple file formats, making it a great choice for a variety of users.
Battery life: The Libra 2 has a long battery life of up to two months, which makes it a great choice for avid readers who want to read for extended periods of time without needing to recharge frequently.
Pros and Cons: While the Libra 2 has many advantages, there are also some drawbacks worth noting.
- Slim, lightweight design
- Front-light for adjustable brightness
- Good battery life
- Supports multiple file formats
- Expensive compared to similar e-readers
- Does not have 3G or 4G capabilities
On the whole, the Kobo Libra 2 offers a pleasant reading experience with its 7-inch E-Ink display and screen lighting that can be adjusted with its 10-touch lighting system. The device also performs well in terms of speed, providing smooth page turns and fast responsiveness.
Durability and Battery Life
In terms of durability, the Kobo Libra 2 is slightly better than most ebook readers available on the market. It is equipped with an IPX8 waterproof rating for up to 30 minutes in up to 2m of water, and its battery life can last up to 6 weeks depending on usage.
The Kobo Libra 2 is also packed with useful features, such as its ComfortLight setting, which makes reading at night less straining on the eyes, and support for different file formats, such as EPUB and PDF among others.
The Kobo Libra 2 is available at an affordable price of $149.99, making it a great buy for its features and performance.
The Kobo Libra 2 is a great ebook reader that offers an enjoyable reading experience with its E-Ink display, smooth page turns, and adjustable lighting. It also has a durable construction and exceptional battery life, as well as practical features like ComfortLight and multiple file format support. Furthermore, it is sold at a reasonable price, making it a great investment for book lovers.
Kobo Libra 2 should be a strong consideration for those looking for a light, pocket-sized reading device that can go anywhere. With its intuitive software design, long battery life, and great value, it stands out in a crowded marketplace. Whether for travel, casual reading, or even for audiobooks, Kobo Libra 2 is an excellent ereader worthy of serious consideration.
Karmen Grier is a versatile writer who effortlessly delves into diverse subjects, ranging from travel and lifestyle to health and wellness. With a warm and approachable tone, she invites readers to join her in exploring new experiences and finding balance in an ever-evolving world.